- 1 can Coconut Milk (400ml) or
- 2 cups of fresh shredded mature Coconut
- 2 cups warm water
- Mix the grated coconut with the warm water in a large bowl.
- Scoop the coconut into a sheet of cheesecloth and squeeze over the bowl to express as much coconut juice as possible then strain into a pan. Discard the coconut.
- Bring the liquid to a boil and cook until the mixture is dry, about 15 minutes
- When the texture turns gelatinous, lower the heat and continue stirring.
- It will curdle as it dries, continue stirring until brownish residues are formed which are called ‘latik.’
- This can be used right away to top your Filipino dessert or store it in the fridge for a few days.