- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 600 g beef, minced
- 3 rashers short cut bacon, chopped
- 8 button mushrooms, wiped and halved
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 400 g canned peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tsp. dried oregano or mixed herbs
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Potato mash
- 1 kg potato, peeled and chopped
- 50 g butter
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook the onion and carrot for five minutes or until soft. Add the mince, bacon and mushrooms and cook for three minutes or until mince is browned. Stir though the tomato paste, tomatoes, stock and herbs. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, then uncover, and simmer for a further 15 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated. Add the peas and cook for another couple of minutes.
2. To make the potato topping, boil the potatoes in water until soft. Drain well and mash with butter, milk and parmesan.
3. Pour the meat mixture into ad 1 L capacity ovenproof dish and top with the mash. Bake for 35 minutes or until the potato topping is golden brown.